Training your character in Chernobylite is a major way to ensure your success. In this Chernobylite Skills Guide, I'll break down the Companion Skills and tell you which ones you should prioritize!
How to Get Skill Points in Chernobylite
Getting Chernobylite Skill Points is pretty easy — any action you do in the game will earn you a bit of experience. Your experience bar is on the top left of the screen; when it fills up, you get a Skill Point to spend.
Skill Points can be earned by:
- Completing quests
- Harvesting resources
- Killing enemies
- Crafting items
- Building things in your base The Refuge
Once you have some Skill Points to spend, you can talk with one of your Companions while in The Refuge and learn one of several skills. Each Companion has one skill that can only be trained once and two skills that can be trained twice.
List of Chernobylite Skills
Chernobylite skills can be unlocked by talking to Companions in your base The Refuge. However, you'll need to convince the Companions to join you before you can train in their skills. It's possible to have all five of them join you and you can learn every skill as long as you have the necessary skill points.
Skills from Olivier
- Stunning – Takedown is quieter and won't negatively affect Igor's psyche
- Precision – Revolver [inflicts] 25% more damage to the enemies.
- Perfect Precision – Revolver [inflicts] 50% more damage to the enemies.
- Stealth – Move, run[,] and jump more quietly.
- Perfect Stealth – Move, run[,] and jump much more quieter.
Skills from Sashko
- Reflex – Health bar is increased by 3 points[.]
- Parkour Run faster and land more [safely] from bigger heights.
- Perfect Parkour – Run much faster and land safely from any height[.]
- Patience – Shotgun [deals] 25% more damage.
- Perfect Patience – Shotgun [deals] 50% more damage.
Skills from Olga
- Discipline – Health bar is increased by 3 points[.]
- Organization – Gain 6 more inventory slots[.]
- Perfect Organization – Gain 6 more inventory slots[.]
- Control – Assault Rifle [deals] 25% more damage.
- Perfect Control – Assault Rifle [deals] 50% more damage.
Skills from Tarakan
- Camouflage – Enemies will need more time to notice Igor[.]
- Saving – Everything built and crafted in [The Refuge] is 10% cheaper.
- Perfect Saving – Everything built and crafted in [The Refuge] is 20% cheaper.
- Software Upgrade – Environmental Analyzer will highlight enemies[.]
- Advanced Software Upgrade – Environmental Analyzer will be able to scan the environment much more frequently.
Skills from Mikhail
- Capacity – Gain 12 more inventory slots[.]
- Gathering – You receive 15% more of every picked resource[.]
- Perfect Gathering – You receive 30% more of every picked resource[.]
- Survival Instinct – While you gather plants and mushrooms, you have [a] 10% chance of finding extra food.
- Perfect Survival Instinct – While you gather plants and mushrooms, you have [a] 20% chance of finding additional food rations.
What Chernobylite Skills Should I Get?
The various Chernobylite skills all have their benefits, but which ones you get is a matter of how you want to spend your Skill Points. I had enough Skill Points to buy all of them after 20 hours, but I still had to decide how to spend them along the way.
Here's what I personally prioritized:
- Anything that gives me more items (such as Mikhail's "Gathering") or makes things cheaper (such as Tarakan's "Saving").
- Anything that increases my health.
- Anything that increases my damage with weapons.
- Everything else.
I put a focus on gathering to ensure that I could craft anything I needed. However, if you're having trouble with combat, you might want to prioritize increasing your health or damage to up your survivability.
Of course, all of this hinges on actually having the Companions around. If you're still gathering your team while progressing through the story, it's a good idea to hold off on less-desirable skills and save some Skill Points for the next person to join your team, just in case.