Back 4 Blood is out for the general public today. This co-op zombie shooter, another game attempting to fill the role of spiritual successor to Valve's Left 4 Dead Series, has players taking on the roles of a number of "Cleaners" and making their way through different acts. Along the way you'll pick up new weapons, fight a variety of different special zombies, and try to survive the apocalypse. What might surprise you when you begin the game is that only four of the games eight Cleaners are available to you. In this Back 4 Blood Unlock All Cleaners Guide we'll not only go over how to get the four locked Cleaners, but we'll also talk about each Cleaners ability and which will be most helpful at the Nightmare difficulty mode.
Back 4 Blood Unlock All Cleaners Guide - How to unlock Doc, Hoffman, Jim, and Karlee
In order to open up the entire roster for Back 4 Blood you need to play Back 4 Blood online with other players and complete the first four levels of the game. After making your way through Resurgence, Tunnel of Blood, Pain Train, and The Crossing you'll get a notification that you've completed the first Chapter of Act 1 called The Devil's Return. There will be a brief cutscene that shows Doc, Hoffman, Jim, and Karlee introducing them to the players. For completing The Devil's Return you'll also earn the following benefits:
- Unlock the Paid the Toll accomplishment, which should simultaneously unlock the Paid the Toll Achievement
- 150 Supply Points
Unlock All Characters - Back 4 Blood Cleaner Special Abilities
Below is a list of each character and what special abilities they have. These can be important to not only boost your teams chances, but maybe also cover a play flaw you know you have.
Back 4 Blood - Evangelo
- Has a 75% breakout speed, and can break out of a Special Ridden's grab once per minute
- 25% increased stamina regen
- +5% increased movement speed for the team
Back 4 Blood - Doc Abilities
- Can heal teammates when at low health without requiring health items
- Heals for more HP
- Improves team's resistance to Trauma (Trauma will reduce a Cleaner's max HP as they take damage)
Back 4 Blood - Hoffman Abilities
- Killing Ridden can sometimes drop ammo
- Hoffman can carry an extra offensive item such as a grenade or pipe bomb
- +10% to the team's maximum ammo
Back 4 Blood - Holly Abilities
- Regains 10 stamina on a kill
- +10% increased resistance to damage
- +25 stamina to the team
Back 4 Blood - Jim Abilities
- Each precision kill will stack 2.5% to your damage, but once Jim takes damage it drops back to normal
- +25% speed to aim down sights
- Increases damage team does when hitting Ridden weak spots
Back 4 Blood - Karlee Abilities
- Is able to detect nearby hazards
- Karlee can carry an extra utility item such as an ammo pouch or defibrilator
- +50% speed when using the "use" action like opening a crate
Back 4 Blood - Mom Abilities
- Can instantly revive a teammate once per level
- Mom can carry an extra healing item such as painkillers or a medkit
- The team will have one additional team life
Back 4 Blood - Walker Abilities
- Each precision kill will give Walker increased accuracy for five seconds
- +10% increase to overall damage
- +10 max health to the team
Back 4 Blood Unlock All Cleaners Guide - Best team for Nightmare Mode
There's a lot of mixing and matching that can be done between these eight characters but from those, the best way to get an all-around boost to your characters is to use Hoffman, Mom, Doc, and Holly.
Hoffman's greatest use is in the ammo that he can cause to drop. These pickups aren't limited to just him so as long as your Hoffman is leading the pack and taking out as many Ridden as possible it will ensure that the rest of the party is as stocked up as possible, that each party member's ammo count is further increased by Hoffman is also just a cherry on top. At the higher difficulties, the Ridden can take a lot more ammo to put down so this will be invaluable. Having an extra pipebomb can also come in handy in a clutch moment.
Even reading Mom's abilities above, one instant pickup to a downed teammate, and that there's an additional team life, you should be able to know instantly that this is the kind of security that you'll want. Any chance you can get for extra life in a game is normally a good option. Then when the going gets really tough the extra healing items will be useful.
If Mom's abilities are best for when you're down, the Doc does her best to make sure that the team doesn't even go down. Slowdown to Trauma damage and free heals to low health teammates will do wonders to slow down how quickly you'll be burning through health and health items. While the stabilization isn't anywhere near as good as a full medkit having those medkits stored up for when they're needed is the optimal way to play.
Finally Holly, compared to Walker or Jim with increased damage Holly might seem like a bit of a black sheep choice but every time you're playing and running away from the Ridden or swatting them away with a melee attack you'll be thanking Holly for that extra 25 stamina. Heading into combat you might not see the use but when a special Ridden appears, or you feel like you really need to back up and get away from the action the stamina will make sure you get out safe and aren't down in the middle of a horde. For similar stamina/running speeds you could also sub Holly out for Evangelo but it wouldn't be as good overall for the Team.