Today Sony announced that Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End will launch on March 18th, 2016. Also included in the announcement was a look at the special and collector’s editions that will be available for purchase.
For $79.99 you can purchase the Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Special Edition, which includes:
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Collectible Steelbook designed by Alexander Iaccarino
- 48-page hardcover artbook
- Naughty Dog & Pirate Sigil Sticker sheet
- Naughty Dog Points: Some in-game currency used to unlock various multiplayer content
The first thing that likely grabbed your attention is the inclusion of the “Naughty Dog Points.” Now, there is no indication that these are microtransactions exactly as Naughty Dog has not discussed how you acquire the points. However, we do know that they only seem to be used for, at the moment, for unlocking some multiplayer content. Expect more from Naughty Dog in the coming months for sure.
Next, you can grab the Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Libertalia Collector’s Edition for $119.99, which includes everything in the Special Edition and more:
- A 12″ Nathan Drake statue by Gentle Giant
- Three multiplayer outfits: Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Heist Drake, and Desert Drake
- Two custom weapon skins: Golden Weapon Skin and Desert Weapon Skin
- Henry Avery Sigil ball cap
- Madagascar Sidekick outfits
Seeing the skins and outfits may bring you back to the Naughty Dog points. Again, there is nothing concrete yet on how to obtain them or what they are used for; however, one can’t deny the most common things one can purchase with microtransactions: skins and costumes.
That’s it for the physical editions, but you can also purchase the Digital Deluxe Edition for $79.99, which will be available for pre-order on the PlayStation Store later this week. It will include:
- Digital copy of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Uncharted 4 Triple Pack: Future access to a singleplayer story addon, a first for the Uncharted series, and two multiplayer packs that will unlock new, rare and legendary multiplayer items
- Instant unlock of two multiplayer customization items
The first thing worthy of note is that the Uncharted 4 Triple Pack is not currently included in either the Special Edition or Collector’s Edition. However, it will be available for separate purchase on the PlayStation Store.
If you do decide to pre-order Uncharted 4, you will receive a Bonus Pack that includes the Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune outfit, the Golden Weapon customization, and a pack of Naughty Dog Points. Uncharted 4 also has pre-order bonuses with specific retailers.
- Gamestop: You will receive the Multiplayer Booster Pack, which includes a variety of one-time use multiplayer boosts and The Phurba Dagger Taunt
- Amazon: You will receive the Snow Camo weapon customization and the Desert Drake outfit
- PlayStation Store: You will receive the Uncharted 4 Dynamic Theme and Desert Weapon customization.
Some of those pre-order bonuses are included in the various editions above, but some are not. The announcement did not include any information on whether or not the pre-order bonuses will be exclusive to that pre-order or whether or not you will be able to purchase them at a later time.
What do you think of all the Uncharted 4 editions? What about the pre-order strategy?