Late last month, State of Decay 2 released to largely warm reception. Since then, players have been busy, racking up over 600 million zombie kills in only a few weeks.
That said, Microsoft’s newest exclusive launched with a myriad of bugs, making life in the apocalypse a bit harder than it needs to be. Fortunately, (or not, depending on your internet speed) a 20GB patch went live today with a long list of fixes and quality of life enhancements.
The full list is found on the official website, but here are some significant changes:
- Increased stability
- Improved networking interactions for clients
- Improved networked vehicle interactions
- Elimination of Out Of Memory crashes
- Numerous networking bandwidth and CPU improvements
- Improved network vehicle interactions in multiplayer games to address weird “rubber-banding” and physics issues (including cars flying into the air).
- Fixed numerous collision spots across all 3 maps where players or vehicles were getting stuck
- Fixed numerous collision spots across all 3 maps where players were getting stuck in an infinite freefall animation loop
- Addressed a variety of general crash bugs
- Fixed issue with player HUD disappearing after NPCs are executed by zombies
That last one was a big issue in my experience. Along with the patch comes a note from the Head of Undead Labs, Jeff Strain:
Hey fellow survivors, I just wanted to drop in a quick personal note on behalf of the development team to thank you for your support and for jumping in with us on State of Decay 2. This patch today is just the beginning — we have big plans for State of Decay 2, and we’re humbled and appreciative to you for giving us the opportunity to make those big plans happen. Keep playing, keep surviving (or not, as sometimes happens), and stay tuned for more good stuff! — Jeff
While State of Decay 2 is a worthwhile experience, the bugs were frequent enough to ruin the game for a variety of players. Plus, the team never really got around to fixing the flaws in the first game, so it’s good to see their dedication this time around.
Will you be hopping back into State of Decay 2 for some zombie slaying after the patch? Let us know in the comments below!More About This Game