Hero 30 is here—Baptiste is now live in Overwatch! In addition to Baptiste, several changes to the game’s core systems and many of its heroes have gone through in the patch for March 19, 2019. Let’s get right into it!
Overwatch March 19, 2019 Patch – Baptiste
Starting things off, the heavy hitter for this patch is the addition of Hero 30. Baptiste is an independent soldier who served in the Caribbean and Talon before cutting out on his own. Primarily, Baptiste acts as a Support character with a mix of combat and healing abilities. His Biotic Launcher primary weapon can fire a three-round burst for damage and healing grenades to support his allies. His Regenerative Burst ability can heal him and any nearby allies over time. Immortality Field can keep anyone within the field from dying, but the drone that provides it makes for an easy target. His Exo Boots allow him to soar to great heights by crouching before jumping. Finally, his Amplification Matrix Ultimate allows any shots fired through this field to be increased in damage.
Of course, one of the things many players love to see is the skins for a new hero. Take a look at Baptiste’s Legendary Skins! After that, we’ll get into the patch’s other changes.
Overwatch March 19, 2019 Patch – General Changes
In addition to the new hero, several changes for the game’s core systems have gone through.
Beam-type damage for the following attacks is now reduced by 20% when hitting armor:
- Mei: Primary Fire
- Moira: Alternate Fire, Coalescence
- Symmetra: Primary Fire, Sentry Turret
- Winston: Primary Fire
- Zarya: Primary Fire
Furthermore, the following effects are no longer mitigated by armor:
- Ana: Primary Fire
- Ashe: Dynamite
- Hanzo: Dragonstrike
- Mei: Blizzard
- Moira: Biotic Orb
- Widowmaker: Venom Mine
- Zarya: Graviton Surge
Damage Boost is now applied when a projectile is fired rather than when it impacts a target. This change was likely instituted thanks to Baptiste’s new Ultimate ability.
Knockback distance is more consistent and less influenced by the target’s momentum. Moreover, flying heroes (such as Mercy while using her Valkyrie Ultimate) can now be knocked back and/or slowed.
Finally, there are two new sound effects in the game. One sound plays when you land a damage-boosted hit and a different sound plays when you land a hit that does no damage. Once again, these additions are likely due to Baptiste’s abilities.
Overwatch March 19, 2019 Patch – Hero Changes
Finally, the Overwatch March 19 patch has made some minor changes to a lot of heroes. Here’s the list:
- Nano Boost heal reduced from 300 to 250
- Rising Uppercut cooldown reduced from 7 seconds to 6 seconds.
- Seismic Slam cooldown reduced from 7 seconds to 6 seconds.
- Sonic Arrow detection radius increased from 7 meters to 9 meters.
- Frag Launcher impact damage increased from 40 to 50.
- RIP-Tire cost increased by 10%.
- Amp It Up Speed Boost amplification reduced from 70% to 50%.
- Cross Fade Speed Boost effect reduced from 30% to 20%.
- Sonic Amplifier’s Soundwave now counts towards Offensive Assists.
- Wall Rider speed buff increased from 20% to 40%.
- Fan the Hammer damage reduced from 55 to 50.
- Deadeye damage per second increased from 275 to 550 after locking on to targets for 1.5 seconds.
- Endothermic Blaster primary fire damage increased from 2.25 (45 damage per second) to 2.75 (55 damage per second).
- Ice Wall health reduced from 500 to 400.
- Biotic Grasp heal over time increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds.
- Total healing increased from 50 to 65.
- Fusion Driver movement speed penalty reduced from 50% to 30%.
- Rocket Launcher explosion damage increased from 16.25 to 20.
- The Reaping healing (via doing damage) reduced from 50% to 40%.
- Pulse Rifle damage increased from 19 to 20.
- Sprint delay before shooting reduced from 0.5 seconds to 0.3 seconds.
- Tactical Visor can now target RIP-Tire and Immortality Field.
- Hack cooldown reduced by half when hacking medkits.
- Changed the visuals to make it clearer that someone has been hacked.
- Photon Projector primary fire damage ramps up 20% faster.
- Base health increased by 50 armor for a total of 250 maximum health.
- Overload armor gain reduced from 150 to 100.
- Infra-Sight now reveals enemy health bars.
- Infra-Sight is now canceled when Widowmaker dies.
- Adaptive Shield no longer cancels Roll Mode.
- Particle Cannon alternative fire explosion radius changed to 2 meters. Energy level is no longer a factor in the explosion radius.
- Orb of Destruction damage increased from 46 to 48.
- Orb of Discord effect reduced from 30% to 25%.
As always, there’s a boatload of other bug fixes and small changes as well; you can read the full patch notes for all the fine details. In the meantime, go ahead and hop into Overwatch so you can play Baptiste already!
What do you think of Baptiste? Do you think the armor and hero changes made in today’s patch will have a positive effect on the game? Let us know in the comments below!More About This Game