Wow. I don’t think anyone expected this to happen.
Today Bandai Namco has announced that the updated release of this years Japanese release J-Stars Victory VS will be coming to North America. Announced with a little teaser footage of the new PS4 version – “Bamco” has also confirmed on their tumblr that the title will see a western release for ALL platforms – including PS3, PS4, and Vita (with assumed Playstation TV support)
Anyone that is familiar with the circumstances surrounding this release can tell you how surprising this announcement is; as the J-Stars franchise in all of its iterations has been a Smash Bros-like conglomeration of various popular manga franchises. Although the franchise’s namesake – the Shounen Jump magazine – has a western version, it still comes as a surprise that the licensing hell that is sure to be this release is being attempted. I haven’t played any of the titles in the franchise before, due to the fact that the franchise has been Japan exclusive until now, but I’ve heard good things about it; and I’m looking forward to seeing just what the big fuss about it is.
Here is the teaser trailer, and the Press Release, below;
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
- Developer: Spike Chunsoft
- Platforms: PlayStation 4, PS3, PS Vita
- Genre: Fighting Game
- Players: 1 to 2 offline, 1 to 4 online
- Rating: Teen / 12+ TBC
- Release: Summer 2015
- Texts: EFIGS
- Voiceover: Japanese
For the 45th anniversary of the “Shonen Jump” magazine and the 20tth anniversary of the “V Jump” magazine, a never before seen fighting game has been developed. The game invites ans and gamers to play with their favorite manga/anime’s characters and progress in the Jump World through different environments recalling One Piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, and others’ memorable moments. For every manga and anime fan, J-Stars Victory VS+ is without a doubt a must-have for long hours of nervous and amazing battles in a unique atmosphere.
- 1st time in North America and Europe – A unique game combining licenses issued in the famous Jump magazines is releasing for the ﬁrst time outside of Japan.
- Incredible Roster – A huge choice of characters coming from the most famous original manga/anime issued in the Jump Magazine.
- Jump World – The world where the adventure takes place offers 4 different scenarios in which players can travel in memorable places like “Planet Namek”, “Alabasta”, “Green Leaf”…
- One game with all famous original manga/anime licenses.
- Communities were waiting for this game since its Japanese release.
- Unique Story mode mixing all licenses characters and environment.
- Epic battles – With the 2 Vs 2 team battle system, ﬁghts are going to be tough, strategic and exciting. Each character possesses his own speciﬁcations and attacks coming from the original manga/anime. The game also adds special moves called “Combination Attack” and “Voltage System” making battles even more aggressive!
- Arcade Mode – An Arcade Mode has been added to the game in the same vein as every ﬁghting game.
- Stunning graphics – With a PlayStation 4 version releasing for the ﬁrst time, the game offers the best possible experiences and plunges players into an Anime.