In the lovely city of Briton, over 170 companies came to the Develop Awards of 2015 on July 15th, 2015 to hand out the Develop Awards 2015, which handed out 21 different awards of various accomplishments from Publishing Hero to best New Games IP for both the Console and Mobile platforms. The awards are associated with the develop-online website, which has information about game jobs, events in the industry, and various information about the game industry.
There were a couple of big winners of the night, starting with the Creative Assembly team for their horror hit, Alien: Isolation. The studio took home 2 awards for the night including the Audio Accomplishment award, the Use of a License or IP (Presented by IconicFuture), and Alien: Isolation took home a 3rd award with Creative Outsourcer – Audio with SIDE.
The guys over at Dontnod Entertainment also did well, as their episodic game Life is Strange took home the award for best New Games IP – PC/Console as well as the Use of Narrative Award. Dontnod indicates on the steam community their thanks to the community, as well as hinting that episode 4 of the series is undergoing its last touches at the moment and may be ready right around the corner.
As for Studio awards, the Publishing Hero award went to Team17, who published such games as The Escapists and Schrodinger’s Cat and the Raiders of the Lost Quark. The house typically known for the Worms franchise has helped several games get to the public over the last year and were rewarded with the Publishing Hero title accordingly, as both of the aforementioned games did reasonably well in reviews. As for the rest of the rewards, you can see the full award list below:
- New Games IP – PC/Console – Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment)
- New Games IP – Mobile – Plunder Pirates (Midoki)
- Use of a License or IP (Presented by Iconic Future) – Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly)
- Visual Arts – Lumino City (State of Play Games)
- Audio Accomplishment – Alien Isolation (Creative Assembly)
- Use of Narrative – Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment)
- Technology Provider – Oculus VR
- Design & Creative Tool – SpeedTree for Games (SpeedTree)
- Production Tool – Perforce Software (Perforce)
- Engine – Unity 5 (Unity Technologies)
- Services – Audiomotion
- QA & Localization – Testology
- Creative Outsourcer – Visual & Development – Speech Graphics for Shadow of Mordor
- Creative Outsourcer – Audio – SIDE for Alien: Isolation
- Recruiter – Amiqus
- Publishing Hero – Team 17
- Micro Studio (Presented by Unity) – Roll7
- Independent Studio – Space Ape Games
- In-House Studio – Rockstar North
- New Studio – Starship
- Development Legend – Tim and Chris Stamper (Rare)
Do you agree with the awards in question, or do you think that anyone of significance was left off the list? Obviously awards like this are subjective, but giving kudos to those who did well is good from time to time.